This 3-year old buck lay peacefully on the bank of Muddy Creek as I crossed the foot-bridge. Clearly aware of me, he chose not to give up his shady spot on this september day of lingering summer heat. It could not be more clear to me that I must walk by a good many animals without noticing them. If the only ones you notice are the ones who flee, you might form the notion that animals always run when a human approaches, and end up not even looking for the ones who stay still all around...
All fresh dispatches from the green and brown and blue world all around. News carried on the wind from the frontlines of wildness, reports from the underground trail-roads, investigations of human-animal-plant relationships.
Monday, September 17, 2012
Spirit of the Forest
This 3-year old buck lay peacefully on the bank of Muddy Creek as I crossed the foot-bridge. Clearly aware of me, he chose not to give up his shady spot on this september day of lingering summer heat. It could not be more clear to me that I must walk by a good many animals without noticing them. If the only ones you notice are the ones who flee, you might form the notion that animals always run when a human approaches, and end up not even looking for the ones who stay still all around...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment